Monday, June 21, 2010

everything happens for a reason

When I got laid off in April 2009, I was pretty devastated. The firm could not afford to pay my salary any longer and they laid off me, the most junior associate, one senior associate, and two secretaries. Shortly thereafter, L, a senior associate and friend of mine, left because she found a new job. L and I had breakfast yesterday and I learned that the firm has recently hired a new junior associate. So just a little over a year after they couldn't afford to pay me, they have replaced me. I tried to think whether I would have wanted that old job back and I can honestly say that I would not have wanted to work there again. Don't get me wrong. It was a fantastic place to work, but while my life right now is stressful with new job, moving, baby, etc., I am pretty happy with the position we are in. While not getting laid off would have prevented pools of tears and mountains of stress, I don't think we would have been entertaining the though of purchasing our first home together either.  That's right! Our home inspection is tomorrow and if all goes well, we will close at the end of July. Carl Rove will have a fenced in backyard to romp in and Juliet will have a nursery waiting for her when she comes home. 2009 was a challenge for us, but suddenly I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. When they say that everything happens for a reason, I think people are right. Unfortunately, when it happens you don't realize the reason and you can't even begin to fathom that everything will turn out well. But, it does. I promise.

1 comment: